Monday, July 19, 2010

4-H Fun

Nothing spells summer more than the 4-H Fair.  Growing up, the fair meant riding rides, playing games, and eating all the cotton candy, elephant ears, and snow cones I could eat in one week.  I'm not sure that I ever ventured over to the animal barns... come to think of it, where were the animal barns?  Ha!  My first summer down here was like culture shock... I don't think Jesse had ever ridden a ride at their county fair.  He even looked horrified when I suggested it.  To him, the fair is all about spending time in the animal barns, preferable the cattle barn.  I've come to appreciate and I really do enjoy our time spent in the animal barns, Jesse on the other hand won't budge when it comes to his opinion of the rides, and to be honest, I am a little nervous when it comes to letting the kids on some of those rides as well... I'd much rather they be parading around 800+ pound animals in the barns.  I-YIE-YIE!

As our kids are becoming more involved in 4-H, they are learning how much fun 4-H can be.  They love searching throught the Exhibit Buildings to find their projects and see what color ribbon they earned.  They also enjoy the animal barns, their favorite being the horse barn (Kaylee must have hijacked my camera last night because this morning as I was scrolling through my pictures, I found about 40 photos of a variety of horses.) 

Here's a couple pictures along with their projects/awards from this week.

Kaylee earned 2 blue ribbons for her Wallhanging and her Flower Book.


Jacob earned a ribbon for his tomato/pepper project.
(He's not old enough to participate in Pre-4H yet
so he participated in the Open Show Youth Exhibits.)


Kaylee showing her cousin Emma's goat in the Pre-4H Goat Show.

Kaylee with her medal from the Goat Show.

Stayed tune for another post in a couple of days.  Kaylee has a 900 lb. heifer she'll be showing Wednesday evening in the beef show.  Please pray for her safety and my sanity in the coming days... I get sick just thinking about it!

No comments: